Sunday 29 December 2019

Forever Home!!





Image result for new home"

Well we sat down in January of this year (2019) and we decided to apply for a mortgage. We figured we had been through so much with the long distance for years , his summer in Chicago with his friends and we finally knew we could live with each other. So in January we decided to start the process and within a few weeks we had been approved and we went on the hunt for a house.
I knew I could never really settle in Dublin coming from a town. Dublin always just seemed so busy, open and loud, it was a shock coming from a small town where I could walk down the street in the middle of the night and feel safe. We lived in Malahide so it is not like we did not live in a safe area, it was just I have grown up in Dundalk and I know what to expect. t sounds crazy but I just cant explain, but I am sure it is the same for anyone if they grow up in an area they feel so safe and when they move they don't know what to expect. I know its crazy!
So, anyway back to the mortgage. I never thought Sean would want to move from Dublin but when we started to look at houses and the prices he was up for looking in commuter towns. to say I was shocked is an understatement. As I said I have grown up in Dundalk and all my family is here so it made sense for us to buy here. It is only 45 mins for me to get to work and Sean can get a local bus which gets him to the city centre in an hour.
We decided to move into a new build house in the estate I have lived in with my parents for the last 15 years. Some people would look at it as I did not want to move far from my parents but it is such a safe and family orientated estate with lost of open space for children to play in the summer.
As we have purchased a house towards the end of our 20's we know this will be our forever home and we are taking a view on it that this is the house we will be bring our children up in and our grandchildren also.

So, any advise for couples buying a home??



1. Rent a house or apartment together first for at least a year. Sure you may be madly in love but when you think about it at the moment you may be going home to separate houses at the end of the day. it is true what they say, you never really know someone until you live with them.
    Image result for renting gif"
2. Compromise is key! You will both have different ideas of what your dream forever home is. You both have to be able to compromise- whether that be location, price, finishings. There has to be give and take on both sides.

Image result for compramise gif"

3. Be prepared to be frustrated with how long the process can take. I think our mortgage advisor was sick of seeing my emails at the end. you do have to jump through hoops and get every details of your life for these people and life insurance companies. But trust me in the end it is all worth it.
Image result for frustrated gif"

4. Don't rush into buying a house because that is what other people your age is doing. Take your time, no matter what age group you are in people will be in different situations. Don't feel like just because you are in your late 20's that you need to buy a house because people you know are doing it or you think thats what you should be doing at this stage. Take your time and enjoy your life Once you buy a house you are in debt for the rest of your life remember that!

Image result for take your time gif"


So yeah, Sean and I purchased our forever home together and that is not the only exciting thing that happened this year. I will have another post coming up with the next big thing in our relationship soon!!!!

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment